Monday 7 January 2013

New reviews make me smile...

Over the past few months I have spent a LOT of time on Twitter. I have blogged about cakes, outings, my books, the Writers Festival I attended, books & movies I enjoyed, general stuff. I have edited my books and stories extensively and even edited other authors work in the Short stories Group (they actually trust me? lol)

Anyway, are you getting the picture? Yep, not a lot of novel writing going on! I have had many requests for me to complete my Trilogy and that is the plan... when I DON'T GET DISTRACTED! Stay away from the internet, step back people...woman on a mission!

So, I plan to spend the next few months (after the next book of shorts is published) getting my head down and staying FOCUSED ... like they say on the Word Cloud ... WRITE THE DAMN BOOK!

Anyway, as means of motivation let me share with you me latest reviews... Sometimes I wonder if they got the wrong book! ha ha

Thanks for reading folks, I hope your 2013 has got off to a great start!

HUGS
Vanessa :) xx

REVIEWS FOR COMPLICATIONS (THE EVOLUTION TRILOGY)

5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution Series, 7 Jan 2013

By 
Mr. Frederick Johnson "Fred Johnson" (Epsom England) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   
Complications is book 2 in the trilogy. Book 1 "Hybrid" started slowly developing the characters and grew to an interesting finish. This book continued from there and just kept on going.
Complications continues the story of Stephen and his search for the girl of his dreams. The complication being, he is a Hybrid Vampire. The highs and lows of the story are dealt with in a very believable way and the climax has left me impatiently waiting for book 3.  All I can say is that it should not finish there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed..., 7 Jan 2013


Enjoyed this book a lot, maybe even slightly more than Hybrid. I think now the characters are established, the story rolled freely. It was very easy to follow. I don't want to put any spoilers in, but I think I can smell a conflict in the air, and I hope I'm right.

The story moved quickly and I wasn't left hanging, waiting for an outcome for too long - I liked this and will look forward to the third book (drums nails).
5.0 out of 5 stars eat your heart out twighlight, 7 Jan 2013
A brilliant sequel to hybrid, this novel followed on well in story and character.
I read the entire book in one sitting (when i was meant to be sleeping) as it had me gripped the whole way through.
Roll on number 3, I await with baited breath!

REVIEWS FOR HYBRID (THE EVOLUTION TRILOGY)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Debut, 23 Dec 2012
Hybrid is a compelling and highly creative read from author Vanessa J Wester. The character portrayal comes to life off the page to ensure the storyline entices the reader to the end. The author's mastery of language and description simply excels!
5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this book down!, 12 Dec 2012
I was not sure that this book was going to be my thing, but I couldn't put it down. I loved the characterisation and Vanessa's style of writing - these are 'unbelievable' characters made completely believable! I cannot wait to start reading the second book in the trilogy 'Complications.' A really great read which I would highly recommend.


REVIEWS FOR FIRST DATE
 Chick-Lit with a twist. 6 Jan 2013 By scribbler

This is Chick-Lit with a twist, and a squeeze of class. The style is comfortable, fluid and at ease with itself. As a bloke it's probably not really my preferred genre, but then, that said, I read Daphne Du Maurier, The Bronte's, Mantel, Emily Dickinson, Beecher Stowe, Zora Neale Hurston etc.,so why should the genre (or the gender) pose an obstacle.The story is crisp, well constructed, and not quite, (in the end)what one would expect. Wester is a class act with a knack for descriptive form. It is difficult to create layered characters in a short story, but she achieves characterisation with a deft touch.If there has to be a criticism,(and it does not detract from my 5 star rating), it would be that the whole thing is (very slightly) constrained by an innate political correctness which limits impact in some instances, e.g. Brenda is a "BARMAID", not a "Bartender", big guys named George with sweaty armpits and fat fingers are Bartenders; but this is a very minor criticism, and the storyline is good, solid and well developed. I would have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone, (male or female), its a damn good read, and wholly enjoyable. Keep it up Ms Wester.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Touching Story of Teenage Years December 28, 2012  By AirCharcoal

First, this review may contain spoilers.

I read this story from a point of view that probably wasn't the author's intention. I thought it was a loving yet satirical look at teenage years, the emotional cravings over boys and girls who in later years seem so ordinary. Because both the boys in this story are somewhat undesirable: Derek is a flake and Ben a self-absorbed tool who flirts with girls and leads them on for the sheer joy of it. Yet although it's written from a teenage girl's point of view, who can't relate to those years, when feelings ruled, we desperately wanted to be noticed by the opposite sex and did all kinds of goofy things for it. That wasn't the time for deep character analysis! The author conveys that sense very beautifully. As well as some family dynamics that happens during that period of our life. But in the end in my opinion the valued kiss is really ephemeral and empty and that's where the satire comes in. Although the author may be hinting at a happily-ever-after romance, I don't know, but that's OK, readers see different things in the same story, right?
5.0 out of 5 stars First Date December 7, 2012 By Sweet

What. Cute HEA Christmas short story. It is young love so fresh & new with all the trappings of heartache & embarrassment that can go with it. She is a rebound date for one man but then finds out someone loves her that she never saw coming.
5.0 out of 5 stars lovely bite size treat 12 Dec 2012 By lec

I very much enjoyed this short story, a lovely little bite size treat easily devoured in a single sitting. The ending was a nice touch that I didnt see coming.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely reviews! That's an author's high point isn't it? To get great reviews like this is something to be proud of Vanessa! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for commenting Val. I'm glad someone actually reads what I write! ha ha

    Like I said in my post, I find these reviews humbling! I am in awe... and am extremely grateful to the people who took the time to write them.

    Have a great day
    Vanessa :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Vanessa. I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. You can find info on my blog: http://theartistcreativeforum.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html
    I’m waiting to hear from you. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot, KayKay... Will get on it, ASAP :) xx

    ReplyDelete