Tuesday 21 May 2013

What to do?

I have not blogged too much recently since I have been trying to concentrate on writing the finale to my Trilogy.  I have also been reading more, which is always relaxing, and spending time with my family.

I have to admit that I went through a real low patch last week (the cloud still hovers over my head) where I started to think that maybe I was an idiot to think I was a writer. I mean, I am supposed to be a Maths Teacher - isn't it time I got back to the day job? So, I have mulled it over and I'm going to wait another year before I think of applying for teaching jobs again.

I was mega busy this weekend, and so didn't think about my writing and then on Monday I saw my latest review via Gary, an author I know a little bit from Twitter and the Short Story compilations.

Truth, I am stunned by what he has written in his review... I really did not expect it!

It means a lot to me to know I can connect with another reader, and gives me the added push to keep on writing.

Enjoy and thanks again for your support,

Vanessa xx



5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first book, you'll be hooked May 19, 2013


Vanessa Wester has a great first book in 'Hybrid'. If this is her first, we all have a lot to look forward to in the coming years as she brings out more of this series and hopefully other stories.

The opening is set at a University in England. Wester immediately drew me into the worlds of the two main characters, Steven and Caitlin, as well as some very well established secondary characters. I was invested in her creations right away.

Then Vanessa throws me a unique twist I was totally unprepared for, even though I had an inkling of what was eventually going to happen. It's not a simple 'young vampires in love' story by any means. There is a lot more to the core story and how it drives her characters forward. I was actually disappointed when it ended; I wanted more. And from the epilogue, I believe the next book will be even better!

As a further note, I read both 'Hunger Games' and 'Twilight' at the insistence of my family (all female). 'Hybrid' was much more engaging and believable than either of those books. I found 'Twilight' very shallow and simple. 'Hunger Games' is better but still just 'Gladiators' for kids. 'Hybrid' is a step above both these books and I would not be surprised to see it on film some time soon.

'Hybrid' is an engaging, fun, twisting, page turner that bodes well for Ms. Wester's writing career. I'm ready to grab books two!

2 comments:

  1. Your imminent success is giving me a glimmer of hope. I'll be finishing my creative writing degree next year and I'm quite nervous about sending my work for publication at some point. You're so brave! If you get time in your busy schedule, please take a look at my poetry blog. :) http://brighteyedjess.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, Jaysica...

    My advice get a Twitter account now, and start building up a following for great advice, friendship and support.

    Brave? Hmmm... I think NUTS! LOL

    Speak soon,
    Vanessa :) xx

    ReplyDelete